9 October 2012

The Wanderer Returns and NaNoWriMo 2012

Well it's been a while since I last posted anything as things here have been a bit hectic. On Friday, my youngest daughter Katie came back from her two and a half month trek across America. My middle daughter Megan, who is at University in Weston-Super-Mare, came down to Cornwall to animal sit (Thank You Meggy Xx) and after spending Thursday night in Bristol and driving in the pouring rain from Heathrow to Cornwall on Friday, we all gathered for the weekend to eat, drink, be merry and look at photos from the USof A .... all 6000 of them.

Image Courtesy of http://www.trekamericalive.com/Treks

Well the time is fast approaching for NaNoWriMo 2012. For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month. It's for all of us out there who secretly know that there is a novel inside of us just waiting to be written and could be just the push needed to finally get that novel started. The aim of NaNoWriMo is to write a 50,000 word novel (approximately 175 pages) between midnight on the 1st of November and 11:59:59pm on the 30th November 2012. There are a few basic ground rules


  • Write a 50,000-word (or longer!) novel, between November 1 and November 30.
  • Start from scratch. None of your own previously written prose can be included in your NaNoWriMo draft (though outlines, character sketches, and research are all fine, as are citations from other people’s works).
  • Write a novel. We define a novel as a lengthy work of fiction. If you consider the book you’re writing a novel, we consider it a novel too!
  • Be the sole author of your novel. Apart from those citations mentioned two bullet-points up.
  • Write more than one word repeated 50,000 times.
  • Upload your novel for word-count validation to our site between November 25 and November 30.
It works out at about 1667 words per day which I know sounds a bit daunting but while I was at University two years ago, doing my Masters, writing 2000 words a day was easily achievable, even while working practically full time to fund my studies and don't forget, you are allowed to to plan and plot beforehand. I have already signed up for this years challenge and I was signed up for last years event too but my laptop died halfway through and by the time my new one had arrived there was nothing I could do to catch up (although I did try writing the old fashioned way ..... long-hand in a note book ..... but I realised, after writing non-stop for almost a week, that a permanent RSI might be the result if I wrote the whole thing by hand).
I am determined to finish this year and will be charting my progress with a word counter on my blog so you can see how it's going and I will be continuing to blog as well so I think that November going to be a rather busy month. 



No comments:

Post a Comment