8 April 2014

Blue Cheese and Onion Tarte Tatin.

With not much in the way of ingredients in my cupboards at the moment and being too lazy to go to the shops, I was looking around for something quick and easy to make. Now, yesterday, on a re-run of the Great British Bake-Off, they were making tarte tatin. Something I have never made and something I have always liked the look of so, as I had some puff pastry sitting in the fridge waiting to be turned into something delicious, I had a bit of a Eureka moment and thought I might give it a go. As usual, being a bit of a wing-and-a-prayer kinda gal, I didn't follow a recipe, I just kind of made it up as I went along.

I fried 4 chopped onions slowly in some butter with a teaspoon of sugar, a pinch of salt and a splash of Henderson's Relish. (For those who don't know what Henderson's is, it's a delicious sauce that is made in Sheffield and you can read about it in a post I wrote a while back, here). When the onions were soft and turning golden, I tipped them into a rectangular cake tin and I added some blobs of blue cheese in amongst the onions. I then rolled out the pastry and covered the onions and cheese, tucking it in around the edges and I popped it into the oven on about 200 degrees C. 

For those of you who prefer to follow a recipe, I found this delicious looking Delia Smith Tarte Tatin recipe online here, which is kind of similar to what I made. Actually, it's sort-of what I had pictured in my head when I decided to make the tarte and maybe I might try it again and follow the recipe next time.

This was my attempt and very delicious it was too, although next time I might try a cheese that is a little less strong. 


1 comment:

  1. That looks delicious. When I actually get my head together again I think I will probably start baking again. There doesn't seem much point just now. Maybe later x xx

    ReplyDelete